Church of San Bartolomeo - Torgiano
The parish church of San Bartolomeo, located in the historic center, was built at the end of the 13th century. In this epoch, the construction of the castle and the incentives promoted by the Municipality of Perugia to favor its rapid population also made it necessary to build a place of worship. However, the current appearance of the church is the result of the demolition of this original structure, which took place at the end of the 18th century. At that time, in accordance with the basilica design planned by the Roman architect, Antonio Stefanucci, a new church was immediately erected and completed in 1805.
It has a facade covered in terracotta. A square bell tower is housed in an ancient castle structure, that once was designated as a city cemetery. In the Middle Ages this constituted the keep of the eastern gate of the castle. At the base of the bell tower is the "Oratorio della Compagnia della Morte, o della Misericordia", built in 1587 and restored, as the inscription under the tympanum recalls, in 1714. It is currently deconsecrated and is used for cultural exhibitions.
Inside, the Church of San Bartolomeo has a single nave with a barrel vault and apse decorated by Ascanio Guglielmo di Panicale and Gaspare and Olimpio Colli di Piegaro in 1937. Above the four side altars, in gilded stucco of eighteenth-century style, some pictorial and sculptural works are placed. These include a Deposition by Felice Pellegrini, an artist of the Barocci school, made in the sixteenth century as narrated in the inscription: "Felix Peregrinus de Perusia inventor pingebat 1588", here probably transferred from the Oratorio della Misericordia; a Marriage of the Virgin dated 1814; a statue of the Immaculate Conception; an Apparition of the Holy Spirit to the Apostles dated from 1590.